FOOD MADE GOOD BY…….
Taking (some of the) beef out of the burger
Keeping The Warren‘s best selling burger on their menu come reopening was always going to be an important driver of footfall and sales. Accepting that this decision came with a high carbon footprint was more of a challenge.
HOW WAS IT DONE?
- Decided on reformulation rather than replacement as beef burger is a customer favourite
- Inspired by fellow SRA member - The Roebuck's - 'less meat' burger, ran recipe trials to reduce grass-fed beef to 70% of patty
- Ensured a sustainable beef replacement by using ingredients from Future 50 Foods: a combo of buckwheat, mushrooms and a dash of soy sauce which created a deep umami flavour
WHAT WAS THE IMPACT?
- Serving just 22 of the new burgers delivers a carbon saving equivalent of flying from London to New York
- Reduce proportion or size of red meat offering, if you can't eliminate it completely
- Source high quality meat and if you replace it, ensure your substitute is sustainable too
- Find inspiration at SRA events
Share on facebookFacebook
Share on twitterTwitter
Share on linkedinLinkedIn
Share on emailEmail