The food industry has a significant part to play in the climate crisis, with a whopping 26% of the worlds’ total greenhouse gas emissions coming from food. From the amount of food waste produced to the carbon footprint of meat and dairy production, the food that we choose to eat affects our planet in many ways. But it’s not too late – a world powered by clean and secure energy is within our reach and the changes needed to protect our world have already begun.
The Climate Coalition is the UK’s largest group of people dedicated to action on climate change. This February, people from across the UK are coming together to join one of the biggest conversations about climate change our country has ever seen, to Show The Love for the people, places and life that we love and want to protect from climate change
Even if you only have a few minutes to spare, there are plenty of ways that you can get involved with your colleagues and customers, and join hundreds of thousands of others this February.
It’s never been more important to make your voice heard. Together we can make a powerful difference.
Here are a few ways to get involved:
- Get creative and craft a green heart with colleagues, or even ask customers to join in too. Wear them with pride – they are a great opportunity to talk about how you are doing your bit to reduce your contribution to climate change
- Try out our Instagram filter to help you find a pledge for the planet, and share with your family and friends, or find a pledge using our quiz! Why not try a new one each week?
- Send a postcard to your local MP to tell them what you are doing to reduce your impact, and ask them to champion climate solutions in Parliament
- Make green heart macarons or bake some heart naan pizzas, and raise awareness with your customers
- Reduce your carbon footprint:
- Use only seasonal fruit and vegetables for a week
- Have an entirely meat-free menu for a week
- Have a zero-waste week through recycling, composting food scraps and ensure deliveries are taken in reusable containers directly from producers
- Use only locally sourced ingredients for a week
Don’t forget to tell the world how you’re getting involved by sharing photos on social media with the hashtag #ShowTheLove
Join hundreds of thousands of people to Show The Love at showthelove.org.uk